top of page

Construction Lawyers in Kelowna

Whether you’re involved in residential or commercial, certain situations may arise where you may need a lawyer experienced in construction law to advise you on your projects. The Heritage Law Group provides legal expertise in general contract preparation and builders’ liens in Kelowna and surrounding areas. We’ve competently advised contractors, subcontractors and construction workers alike and are confident we can help you no matter what your specific issue may be. Remember, when it comes to legal issues involving construction projects, it’s best to work with an experienced lawyer who can help you prepare the documentation necessary to prove your case rather than try to meet the often-demanding deadlines on your own.

Please speak to us if you'd like to meet with our construction lawyers in Kelowna.


Filing for a Builders' Lien in British Columbia

If you've been unpaid for your work on a construction site, you may be entitled to file a builders' lien claim under the British Columbia Builders’ Lien Act. The act makes certain provisions for everyone involved in a project, from the owners, lenders and primary contractors all the way down to the subcontractors, engineers, architects, material and equipment suppliers and labourers. If you fall under any of these categories, you should be aware of your obligations and rights under this Act so that you're adequately protected. Because this Act is rather complex in its scope, it's usually best to work with a lawyer experienced with builders' liens in Kelowna to ensure you comply with all of the required deadlines and documentation that are involved in the filing process. Whether your project has been significantly delayed due to the failure to provide materials or the registration of liens against your property, we can help you make sure that your builders' liens are filed properly and/or enforced.


Having access to the right information can help you make a reasonable legal decision. The following are some frequently asked questions our construction lawyers in Kelowna address regularly:

  • Who Gets Custody of My Children?
    In most cases, a biological or adoptive parent gets custody of the children. However, in some scenarios, third parties can apply to get custody. Some common examples of third parties who can get custody are grandparents, aunts, uncles, or step-parents. Usually, it is more challenging for non-biological and non-adoptive parents to take custody. Still, it is possible if they illustrate that it is in the child's best interests to do so. With regards to the parent who gets custody, it is usually the primary caregiver. To get a clearer idea, we recommend scheduling an appointment with us.
  • What Do I Do If My Spouse Is Not Paying Child Support?
    The Government has established a BC Family Maintenance Enforcement Program, which assists you in implementing child support obligations free of charge. The organization will need one of the following: A Court Order that demands a parent to pay child support. An Agreement is generally a separation agreement where the parties have delineated the terms of child support.
  • How Long Does It Take to Get a Divorce?
    Generally, a divorce in BC can take up to 12 months because you will have to be separated for that period to be eligible for divorce. However, a divorce can be expedited if: Your spouse has committed adultery. Your spouse has subjected you to mental and physical cruelty.
  • If I Move out of the Family Home, Do I Lose My Claim to Any Property Rights?
    No. There is no law of abandonment. Living together before separation can be difficult for many, and moving out may be the only option.

Get Directions

Visit our conveniently located office


Has a contractor terminated your contract early without paying you for your time? Secure your right to be paid; seek legal counsel today with The Heritage Law Group! Contact us to schedule a consultation and find out how we can be of assistance to you with builders’ liens and more. If you’ve had a lien invalidly placed on your property without any merit to it, we can also help you apply to the courts to have the lien cancelled. There are many things you should be aware of prior to beginning any construction project. Should you ever have any questions about builders’ liens in Kelowna and surrounding areas, don’t hesitate to reach out to our firm.


Our construction lawyers in Kelowna will provide you with the legal advice you need to receive what you're entitled to.

bottom of page